Monday, June 29, 2009

Now that school is over...

The last day with the kids was on Friday. I've avoided posting because I hate goodbyes.

On Thursday last week, the kids had their last publishing party. We invited parents (all but 3 came!) and toasted the writers with apple juice. Cheers, kids!

Once the parents left, the kids had a magical hour of enjoying books, reading to each other, and being read to. It was a free-for-all that was lovely. A teacher couldn't ask for anything more. 

And then Friday came, and we inventoried the room and cleaned up. We celebrated with individual awards and a raffle of classroom posters. I got mauled by a group hug and nearly lost it. Lots of tearing up and, not wanting to be weird, holding it all back. Then the kids walked out the room, singing our goodbye song.

The thing is, I'm not coming back to the school in the fall.

It's been a tough year, and I'm looking for something new. Starting in August, I'll be teaching at an all-girls' school in the Bronx. They will wear jumpers. With patches on them.

But tomorrow is the last day for teachers. It'll be goodbye sparkly birthday crowns, goodbye dangerous art installations, goodbye large-scale puppet projects. Goodbye weird smell in the hallway. Sigh!

3 comments:

  1. goodbyes suck the most. take it from one who moved an average of every 2.5 years. goodbye songs help somewhat, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate goodbyes, too. I got tearied eyed reading your last post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad, too. But I love the pictures! They truly capture the scene and its flavor as have your words. (Oh, dear, would Mr. C. want some commas there?) It has been a great journey.

    ReplyDelete