Thursday, December 10, 2009

Surprises from the kindergarten set

Most of the time, the kindergarteners I know are pretty typical. They cry when someone steals their crayon; they need help tying their shoes; they like to tell you the love you.

Today, though, I was mightily surprised not once, but twice.

Incident #1:
During snack, I overheard one girl say, in a fake British accent, "Charlie bit me! Ouch, Charlie! That hurt!" Usually the cultural references are more Hannah Montana-related. Youtube viral videos? That's new.

Incident #2:
At dismissal, one kid who usually goes to afterschool was in the family pick-up line, and I didn't think twice about it. After her afterschool group left on their merry way, she yelled, "I need to go to afterschool!" Uh oh.

I had no idea where the group went or where the program was located, but the school aide told me they had just left and we could maybe catch up. So kindergartener and I went flying down the street, her with flailing arms and me with a pink Hannah Montana backpack. Once we got to the corner, the group was nowhere to be seen. Uh oh times two.

Luckily, kindergartener wasn't half as worried as I was. She seemed to know the way, saying things like you turn here and then go down a curve. After about 5 twists and turns down Bronx blocks, we arrived at the program. I would've been lost without her, but this kid knew her stuff. Future cartographer?

1 comment:

  1. hey, at least the girl from incident #1 wasn't singing "d*** in a box"

    ReplyDelete