Monday, March 23, 2009

Apple Juice Toasts

It was a Happy Monday in first grade. We had a publishing party.

Background info #1:
The kids finally finished writing their personal narratives, so we invited the sixth graders in for a party. The little ones paired up with the big ones. Topics included, among others, visiting the eye doctor and swimming in a hotel pool. The first graders had even included dialogue in their narratives.

Once the sixth graders left, we toasted the writers with apple juice and pretzels. 

I'm happy to report no spills and no tears. Only minimal untied shoelaces.

Tangent #1:
Anyone else remember "publishing" stories in first grade? I know I do. It involved a volunteer mom typing them up on a typewriter. I thought it was legit. So legit I decided to compose an original piece of music, "Birdie Oh Birdie Sing!" I had my mom xerox it a million times at her work. In my mind, that made me the next Mozart.

Yikes. I hope my students aren't as deluded as I was.


1 comment:

  1. I think there are still copies of "birdie oh birdie sing" all over 2222.

    ReplyDelete