Friday, March 27, 2009

omg, dance party friday

Today was the danciest day ever. 

It started off with dancing and singing in a circle, like most Friday mornings. One kid in the middle, everyone else on the edge. Today was a little subdued because my co-teacher and I decided to seriously crack down on behavior. No whispers, no dilly dallying. I had to warn one kid against doing "the worm." And we had our hopper, who hopped all around the circle, giggling. One kid just stood in the middle and stared at his arch nemesis in class. Neither danced. Little awk, little Wild West.

Then, fast forward past recess, the kids went to dance class.

Fast forward again to the ART PARADE! I scrambled around and found the box of musical instruments, so we banged on them and danced around the school and on the street. We passed a pretty stationary robot, a live-action visual artist, a Bronx-based dance troupe, and the lady dressed like a butterfly.  

Then, down to the cafeteria for an African dance troupe with djembe and everything. Great drumming, great dancing. They had an audience participation part, where 4 of my students went up and danced with them. I always love the kids who spend most of time out of sync, looking around at everyone else to see what to do. They're troopers.

7 comments:

  1. What's wrong with the worm? If giggling is allowed, why not worm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I can be a part of your regimented dance revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I get a lesson in worm? My skills are rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as long as it's not pinworm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and no cockroaches

    ReplyDelete
  6. No shilly-shallying, no dilly-dallying,
    Let's all do the wormy-worm now!

    ReplyDelete