Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Forcing the Fun

In the past few weeks, we've gotten two new additions to class. As could be expected, things went slightly haywire. New personalities throw things out of whack.

To counteract this nuttiness, we needed to do some "community building." In first grade, community building involves singing and dancing in a circle, usually with one lucky kiddo in the middle.

I love it. From where I sit (in the teacher chair), it's adorable. There's nothing better than starting your day with kids singing and strutting their stuff. There's always a huge range of dancing talent. There's the kids who clearly go to dance parties on a regular basis. These kids have rhythm and variety. Then there's the kids who do mostly throw-back dances like the disco point. 

My favorite are the kids who just hop around gleefully, without any rhythm or coordination. I identify most with them. 

My second favorite group are the kids who, looking pained, stand awkwardly in the middle of the circle. They hate the spotlight, but they put up with it because they're good sports. And because, when you're a kid, you're always forced to do stuff you don't want to do. This is just another thing added to the list. 

How much did that suck...?

6 comments:

  1. I was the kid who stands there awkwardly. Except when I was around my family. Around my family I'd sing and strut my stuff. I'd make my parents and brother sit on the couch while I danced in front of the mirror and sang Billy Joel songs. It was as far as it gets from adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the show off and class clown in first grade. I also never got to go to those first grade dance parties. I can imagine how different my life would be if I went to those dance parties on a regular basis. They sound like fun. What was the song? Can you have them learn the white stripes song 'we're going to be friends?'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's way too cutesy, although I've certainly thought about it. I'm thinking more hip hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't do that Nas song where the kids sing, please. Poss. the Kanye response song ("We Don't Care") would be a bit too appropriate.

    Also, Chris W, that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be really fun if the kids danced to Single Ladies. Can you post a video?

    ReplyDelete