Wednesday, March 25, 2009

... by the bell

We have a cowbell instead of a school bell, but it does the same job. At 3:00 every day, someone the cowbell rings and the kids bustle out with their backpacks. I walk the kids who are being picked up outside and have a few minutes outside to wait with them until their family members arrive.

I try to keep in teacher mode and prompt the kids to learn (sneakily getting them to sequence events or use adjectives), but it doesn't always work out that way. I'm too immature.

As a result of this loosey-goosey dismissal time, I have a few bets going with some students.
  • Student X and I made a deal that if he has a whole week with great behavior, I'll arm wrestle him. This is particularly notable due to cleanliness reasons.
  • I literally told student A today, "Ten bucks says I can beat you in a race." I mean it, too. She started it by saying grown-ups can't run.
  • Almost daily now, I challenge my kids to tie their shoes. It usually gets them to attempt it at least.
La, la, la "goodbye" song!

1 comment:

  1. If there are cleanliness issues, do you really want to arm wrestle him? You may need to bring Purell that day.

    ReplyDelete