Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sew...I was just thinking...

Sewing with first graders is amazing. Sewing brings out the bizarre conversation in everyone, I think, and it's no different when they're small and can't thread the needle. 

Each year I've been teaching, I've done a sewing project with my class. We've made large-scale puppets and quilt squares. Last year's class was heavily male-dominated (in numbers and in personality), and one Friday afternoon I found myself sitting around a small table with a group of small boys in small chairs, sewing to make a large puppet of a doctor. 

Somehow the topic of God came up. There was a lot of debate. One kid thought God was a soul. Another thought God just hung out in the sky. An English-language-learner didn't know what the hell "god" was and kept asking. One thing they could mostly agree on: God knows how to spell. God can spell everything.

The other first grade teachers and I sat down with our new "artist-in-residence" last week, and I'm happy to report that once again, we'll be sewing in first grade. This time we'll make pillowy soft sculptures to show the life cycle of mealworms and butterflies. 


2 comments:

  1. God as Creator Omnium would approve of the life cycle soft sculptures. I have it on the authority of the many God the Fathers who definitively do hang out in the sky in numerous Renaissance paintings and hard sculptures. In most European languages sky and heaven are the same word. English is different...
    Mom with Beebop's nod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gd can spell the shit out of things. I've seen him do an entire spelling bee without even once asking to hear the word in a sentence.

    M

    ReplyDelete