Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Everyone loves a birthday crown

In movies and in my memory, elementary school was a goofy place to be. Now I know that all the songs were to teach us things we didn't want to learn, and the dress-up days were to keep us interested enough to keep coming back.

But sometimes it's undeniably just for fun.

Like birthdays. Understandably enough, we celebrate the kids' birthdays. They get sparkly birthday crowns, but usually we regulate any sort of celebrate to lunch and recess and no other time. If we don't forget, we'll sing the birthday song. We sternly cut back on the extra verses.

By natural extension to the celebration, we get to celebrate adult birthdays just as--if not more--enthusiastically. And who wouldn't love it? My last birthday crown, from over 7 months ago, is still in my bedroom.

Today was maybe the teacher birthday of all birthdays though. It was the art teacher's, and she went all out. She had a gold personally-crafted crown, arm bands, and an armor-like breast plate. Happy Birthday indeed!

5 comments:

  1. Brave Bunny applauds the practice of celebrating each individual's special day--from the very youngest to the most senior. His only concern lies in the type of the headgear----there may be the slightest of risk that this object will inculcate royalist or at the very least Republican tendencies in the young charges. Perhaps it would be wise to vary the headpiece occasionally---perhaps a Yankees baseball hat would be a bit too plebian, but how about a beret--signifying the continental worker, or perhaps an English Sherlock Holmes hat. Brave Bunny recalls a very good feeling whenever he has had occasion to wear that hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: beret
    We're an art school. We refuse to be trite.

    Re: Sherlock hat
    I have it on good authority that Brave Bunny rocks the hat often, and I'm just afraid that the zip in the step he assumes while wearing it may be detrimental to good management at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not recall birthday crowns at my school or that of my children. I wonder if we disadvantaged as a result. I rather think not. However, I endorse recycling: can the art teacher's festive gear be used for performances of Aida or perhaps the Ring cycle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birthday Crowns seem very generation Y. I don't think boomers had crowns.

    ReplyDelete