Friday, May 8, 2009

Teacher Appreciation Week

In an effort to boost teacher morale, my school opted to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Day for the first time ever.

It was thoughtful. We got a 15-minute break to eat snacks while the Literacy Coach read a book to the kids. When we came back, they had not only read a book but had written us a letter. Apparently the kids appreciate all that we do for them. New vocab (appreciate) usage! wooo!

The outcome of this as been more hugs than usual in first grade. Random hugs are undoubtedly cute, but I am pretty immune to them at this point and would usually rather the kid get in line or get back to reading. 

But I even got a scented candle from a student today, and I really do appreciate it! It will go next to my teacher collection of snow globes.

Unfortunately, I've let this go to my head. All week, I got so used to being given hugs and drawings and stuff that I almost stole someone's picture today. I assumed she gave it to me. She was confused when I took it. We both felt sheepish. 

3 comments:

  1. To receive a candle is perhaps one of the greatest of gifts that a student can bestow, and Brave Bunny is overjoyed that you appreciated it sufficiently. He remembers from years past when he laboriously constructed a decorated candle for some celebration or other and gave it to his household, only to receive less of a response than he had thought it deserved, albeit in retrospect, it may have been a bit clumsily built and rather gaudy in design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did any of the kids ask when "students appreciation day" is? I think at this point, you should have a can on your desk with a small sign labeled tips. Students can put their pictures in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or drawings!

    student appreciation day...now that's a thought...

    ReplyDelete