Monday, May 4, 2009

Non Sequitur

I hate wasting time. In meetings, I hate getting off track. At the grocery, I hate waiting at the deli counter. 

Sometimes that means I'm heartless.

One of my students loves to let his mind wander. He is hilarious and creative, but--wow--he is unproductive. Today, he had to think of  a new story to write. 

Due to complications with allergies and pinkeye, he was seated in the front office near the receptionist, trying to get his work done. I popped by every once in a while to see how it was going.

It wasn't going well. I knelt down by him, for my 60-second teaching moment before I had to head back to class. Here's what went down:

Me: What are you writing about today?
Student: I'm not. I can't think.
Me: Well, did anything interesting happen over the weekend?
Student: Not really. I'm gonna die.
Me: Hmm, let's think of a story topic.
Student: It's true though. I'm gonna die.
Me: Mm-hmm.
Student: Aren't you sad?
Me: No, that's just what happens. Let's get back to work.

6 comments:

  1. brave bunny totally sympathizes with the student. he was obviously not feeling well, with an allergic rhinitis and probable allergic conjunctivitis, and feeling a tad gloomy with his illness and examining the state of his soul--as many of the greatest writers have done. It is very difficult for the very greatest of writers to turn on inspiration in moments like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the student needs some opium to get the thoughts flowing, or at least some good claritin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alvy: The universe is expanding.
    Doc: The universe is expanding?
    Alvy: Well, the universe is everything, and if it's expanding, someday it will break apart and that would be the end of everything!
    Mother(shouting): What is that your business? (to doctor) He stopped doing his homework.
    Alvy: What's the point?
    Mother: What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we had this same conversation when we were roommates...

    ReplyDelete
  5. he's very woody allen. dead pan and anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I had this same conversation with brave bunny just the other evening. He was not so sympathetic as in his post.

    ReplyDelete